Tired of grilling the same-old fare each week? Hotdogs and hamburgers may be a staple of summer, but if you’re looking for something new, try this award-winning BBQ chicken recipe. This tasty recipe by Extraordinary BBQ, won 2nd place in the World Championship Barbeque Cooking Contest in Memphis.
Award Winning Chicken Thighs
Ingredients for Brine:
1 cup water
1 cup apple juice
1 can of Sprite
½ cup kosher sea salt
1 tablespoon pepper
Ingredients for Chicken:
1 package of bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
Basic chicken rub
Your favorite BBQ sauce
- Brine your chicken in ingredients listed above for 30 minutes to several hours.
- Rinse and place on tray, skin side down. Dust the underside with chicken rub.
- Prepare your smoker or gas grill.
- Roll the chicken thighs so the skin is wrapped completely around the meat. Use a toothpick to hold in place. Sprinkle more rub all over.
- Place the thighs as far away from your heat source as possible. At 225 degrees, they will smoke for 2 hours.
- After 2 hours of smoke, bring a pot of thinned hot BBQ sauce outside and dunk the thighs in the sauce and put back on the grill (do not pierce meat).
- After 10-15 minutes the sauce should be caramelized and your thighs are ready. Let them rest for just a couple of minutes and dig in.